Top Ecommerce Platforms for Small Business in 2023
Starting an ecommerce business has become an exciting opportunity for small business owners. As more and more consumers turn to the internet for shopping, having an online presence is becoming increasingly important for small businesses. In 2023, many ecommerce platforms will be designed specifically for small businesses. Therefore, with the rise of online shopping, there is no better time to launch your online store. However, with so many ecommerce platforms available, choosing the right one for your business can be difficult. In this blog, we will discuss the top ecommerce platforms that small business owners can consider starting their online store.
Shopify is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms for small businesses. It is a cloud-based platform that offers a variety of features and tools to help you set up and manage your online store. Shopify is user-friendly and easy to navigate, making it an ideal choice for those new to e-commerce.
The platform also offers a wide range of customization options, including themes, apps, and add-ons, allowing you to tailor your store to meet your specific needs. With a large community of developers and entrepreneurs, Shopify also offers a rich ecosystem of support and resources to help you succeed online.
Example: Kylie Cosmetics, a cosmetics brand founded by Kylie Jenner, uses the Shopify ecommerce platform.
- Monthly fee: Basic – $39/month; Shopify – $105/month; Advanced – $399/month.
- Free trial: 3 days.
- Customer support: Callback phone, email, 19 language support, community forum, and support content.
- Integrated sales channels: Facebook, Instagram, Google, Walmart, eBay, and Amazon.
- Mobile app features: Suite of tools for managing your online business.
- POS: Available.
BigCommerce is the best ecommerce platform for small businesses. It offers a range of features and integrations, making it easy for small business owners to manage their online stores. Like Shopify and WooCommerce, it offers a range of customization options to create a unique look for your store. Additionally, it supports a variety of payment gateways so that you can accept payments from customers worldwide.
One of the key benefits of BigCommerce is its scalability. You can easily add new products and features to your online store as your business grows without switching to a different platform. This means you can save time and money and focus on growing your business.
Another advantage of BigCommerce is its security. It uses secure SSL encryption to protect your customers’ data and is PCI compliant, so you can be sure that their information is safe. This can give your customers peace of mind and increase their trust in your brand.
- Monthly fee: Standard – $29.95/month; Plus – $79.95/month ($71.95/annually); Pro – $299.95/month ($269.96/annually); Enterprise – custom pricing.
- Free trial: 15 days.
- Customer support: 24/7 technical support via phone, email, or chat.
- Integrated sales channels: Google Shopping, Facebook, price comparison engines, eBay, Amazon, Walmart, Etsy, and Instagram.
- Mobile app features: Analytics, order updates, inventory and product management, and customer search (some features Android-only).
- POS: Available.
WooCommerce is a popular open-source e-commerce platform that is built on WordPress. It offers a range of features and tools to help you set up and manage your online store, including product management, order management, and marketing automation. WooCommerce also integrates with a variety of payment gateways and shipping carriers, making it easy to manage all aspects of your business from a single platform. With a large community of developers and entrepreneurs, WooCommerce offers a rich ecosystem of support and resources to help you succeed online.
- Monthly fee: $30/month (estimated costs: $120/year for hosting, $15/year for a domain name, up to $100/year for a theme, up to $108/year for shipping, 2.9% + 30 cents per sale, up to $348/year for marketing, up to $79/year for SEO, and up to $65/year for SSL certificate).
- Free trial: No free trial, but offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Customer support: Live chat or email only, no support for third-party apps.
- Integrated sales channels: Google Shopping, Etsy, eBay, Facebook, Amazon, Pinterest, and Walmart.
- Mobile app features: Manage products, orders, and analytics.
- POS: Native POS available.
Magento is a powerful ecommerce platform that is designed for businesses of all sizes. It offers a range of features and tools to help you build and manage your online store, including product management, order management, and marketing automation. Magento is a highly customizable platform that allows you to tailor your store to meet your specific needs. With a focus on scalability, Magento is designed to grow with your business, allowing you to easily add new products, manage multiple stores, and expand your reach as you grow.
- Monthly fee: A free open-source version and enterprise pricing starts at $22,000/year.
- Free trial: None.
- Customer support: Offers 24/7 support for enterprise clients and community support for open-source clients.
- Integrated sales channels: A variety of integrations available, including Amazon, eBay, and Facebook.
- Mobile app features: Mobile app for managing orders and tracking sales.
- POS: Offers a POS system, but it may require an additional fee or a third-party integration.
Wix is a website builder that also offers e-commerce capabilities. It is a user-friendly platform that is easy to navigate, making it an ideal choice for those new to e-commerce. Wix provides a range of features and tools to help you set up and manage your online store, including product management, order management, and marketing automation. With a focus on design, Wix offers a variety of themes and templates to help you create a professional-looking store that reflects your brand.
- Price: Basic: $23/mo; Unlimited: $27/mo; VIP: $49/mo.
- Free trial: Not available.
- Support: Callback 24/7.
- Sales channels: Need third-party app (Ecwid) for Facebook & Instagram.
- Mobile features: Site management only, need a separate app for mobile POS.
- POS: Available.
Square Online is a platform from Square, the famous payment processing company. It offers a range of ecommerce features for small businesses, making it easy to manage your online store. Like the other platforms, it offers a range of customization options to create a unique look for your store. Additionally, it integrates with Square’s payment processing so that you can accept payments from customers around the world.
Square Online’s affordability is one of its key benefits. At the same time, it offers a range of features that make creating a professional ecommerce experience easy and hassle-free. It is a cost-effective option for small ecommerce businesses, with no monthly or transaction fees. You only pay for what you use, making it an excellent choice for startups. Square Online’s payment integration makes it easy to manage your online and in-person sales from one place and helps to streamline your operations.
- Price: Free plan available; Professional at $12/month; Performance at $26/month; Premium at $72/month.
- Free trial: Not specified but a free plan is offered.
- Customer support: Chat, phone, or email assistance is available.
- Integrated sales channels: Google Shopping, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Mobile app: Offers live sales data viewing, analytics, payment processing, mobile point-of-sale (POS), money transfers, receipts, discounts, refunds, and inventory tracking.
- POS integration: Square integrated.
In conclusion, choosing the right e-commerce platform for your small business is essential for success. The top ecommerce platforms for small businesses in 2023 include Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Magento, Wix, and Square Online. Each platform has its own strengths and weaknesses, so consider your business needs and goals before making a decision. By selecting the right venue, you can build an online store that meets your needs and helps you to grow your business.